Een Bruggeling Buiten Brugge

KAREL VAN SEVEREN

(1822-1892)

EEN BRUGGELING IN NOORWEGEN

Op het einde van het jaar 1849 vertrokken drie avontuurlijke jonge mannen, die tot bekende Brugse families behoorden, naar Californië, waar ze hoopten als goudzoekers fortuin te maken. Ze werden door hun leeftijdgenoten uitbundig gevierd op de vooravond van hun vertrek. Twee tafelliederen, die in drukvorm verschenen, leggen hiervan getuigenis af:

- Couplets d’adieu, dédiés à MM. Hardy Chantrell, Charles Van Severen et Charles Vandamme, chantés au banquet précédant leur départ pour la Californie, à Bruges le 27 novembre 1849, par leur ami Y. Piels;

Couplets d’adieu chantés au souper offert à C. Van Severen, Hardy Chantrell, Ch. van Damme, la veille de leur départ pour la Californie, par leurs amis. Bruges, 28 novembre 1849, impr. C. De Moor.

Die twee afscheidsfeesten werden voorafgegaan door nog een derde op 26 november, met name een banket gehouden door de Compagnie Jagers Verkenners (de ‘elite’ van de Burgerwacht) waar de drie migranten deel van uitmaakten. De commandant van de compagnie, Jan-Baptist Coppieters ‘t Wallant (1806-1860) sprak een feestrede uit, in aanwezigheid van de kolonel van de Burgerwacht, William Chantrell (1801-1857), de vader van één van de drie jonge mannen. Ook dit uitbundige feest, waarop naar hartelust gezongen en gespeecht werd, duurde tot in de kleine uurtjes

Of ze Californië bereikten en of ze enig succes hadden in hun zoektocht naar goud is niet geweten. Er werd gezegd dat ze, althans Hardy Chantrell, nadien naar Australië zou(den) gereisd zijn en onderweg tijdens een storm op zee zijn omgekomen. Dit gold alvast niet voor één onder hen, Karel-August Van Severen.

Brouwer Karel-Jan Van Severen (1801-1842), die zijn vader Karel Van Severen (1755-1823) was opgevolgd aan het hoofd van de brouwerij De Sleutels in de Wulfhagestraat, behoorde tot een uitgebreide familie van welvarende veehandelaars en paardenfokkers. Hij huwde met Adèle Wieland, de in 1800 in Westkerke geboren dochter van August Wieland (1757-1833). Zowel op politiek (conseiller de la préfecture en burgemeester van Westkerke in de Franse tijd, districtscommissaris en gemeenteraadslid van Oostende in de Hollandse tijd, arrondissementscommissaris onder het Belgisch koninkrijk) en commercieel vlak (eigenaar van een import- en exportbedrijf in de Oostenrijkse tijd, promotor en later voorzitter van de Oostendse Handelskamer in de Franse en Hollandse tijd) als op het gebied van de modernisering van de landbouw, speelde Wieland een voorname rol. Hij had nog een tweede dochter, Louise-Pauline die trouwde met de in Brugge gevestigde dokter Constantin Rodenbach (1791-1846), één van de prominente figuren in het jonge Belgisch koninkrijk. Zij waren de ouders van Constantin-Ferdinand Rodenbach (1824-1891) en de grootouders van Georges Rodenbach, de auteur van Bruges la Morte.

Het echtpaar Van Severen – Wieland had een zoon, Karel-August Van Severen, die op 10 januari 1822 in Brugge werd geboren. Toen Karel-Jan in 1842 overleed, werd de brouwerij nog tot in 1847 door zijn weduwe geleid, maar toen verkocht ze die en vertrok naar Gent met haar drie dochters Adelaïde (oktober 1822), Valérie (1826), Thérèse (1829) en haar jongste zoon Andreas (1830-1888). Karel-August werd wellicht te jong bevonden, of was niet geïnteresseerd in overname. Twee jaar later, in 1849, verliet hij dus Brugge met zijn twee kompanen.

Het Amerikaanse avontuur liep waarschijnlijk niet goed af, zoals blijkt uit het feit dat hij enkele jaren later opnieuw in België was. Hij stond, waarschijnlijk uit slordigheid, nog steeds in de bevolkingsboeken vermeld op het adres Wulfhagestraat D1-4. Pas in 1856 werd hij uitgeschreven naar Oudenaarde, waar hij waarschijnlijk al een tijd eerder was terecht gekomen. De uitschrijving gebeurde toen Karel-August zich op het stadhuis kwam aanmelden, omdat hij getuige zou zijn bij het huwelijk van zijn jonge broer, in november van 1856. Op de huwelijksakte werd hij vermeld als garenfabrikant in Oudenaarde. Ook deze activiteit was wellicht geen succes.

Immers, een paar jaar later dook hij op in Noorwegen in het stadje Namsos bij Trondheim, in de provincie Namdalen. In dit nieuwe stadje, dat pas vanaf 1845 tot ontwikkeling kwam, werd in 1853 voor het eerst een houtzagerij opgericht, daar waar voordien het hout werd verwerkt in kleine zagerijen her en der over het landelijk gebied verspreid. De initiatiefnemer was Andreas Janson, van oorsprong een Zweed, geboren in het Västergötland. Hij sloot een exclusiviteitcontract af met de plaatselijke houthandelaar O. G. Olsen, voor wie hij al het hout zaagde. Een tijdje later werd Olsen eigenaar van de zagerij en werd Jansen er uit gewerkt. Olsen deed evenwel slechte zaken en in 1858 moest hij zijn zagerij en de uitgebreide wouden die hij in de regio bezat, verkopen.

De aankoper was een vennootschap die was opgericht in Antwerpen. De nieuwe partnerschap bestond uit 28 aandelen, als volgt verdeeld: Lucien André (Antwerpen), 10 delen (36%), Constant van Cromphaut (Wetteren), 8 delen (29%), Conrad Warnecke (Hamburg) en Ebeling & Brandt (Amsterdam) elk twee delen (15%), Pierre Rist (Antwerpen), August Verhaege (Gent), Constant Verhaege (Gent), Isidore Verhaege (Gent) en Louis & Karel Van Severen (Wetteren) elk één deel (18%).

Die Louis Van Severen behoorde tot een andere tak dan de Brugse Van Severens. Zijn vader, Jan-Bonaventura Van Severen (Diksmuide 1777 – Wetteren 1862) had een houtzagerij opgericht in Wetteren, waar hij vooral kratten maakte voor het transport van het in de plaatselijke fabriek geproduceerde buskruit. Hij had vier zoons en twee dochters. De oudste, Jan-Frans (°1800) huwde met Coleta Vervaet en één van hun zoons, Frantz (1834-1904) huwde met Coleta Poelman en na haar dood met de zestien jaar jongere Petra Olsen (Namsos 1850 – Schaarbeek 1925). Het tweede huwelijk werd ingezegend op 31 mei 1879 in de Sint-Olafkerk in Trondheim. Een paar dagen eerder had de bruid zich bekeerd tot het katholieke geloof. Later vertrok het gezin uit Noorwegen.

De tweede hier te vermelden zoon van Jan-Bonaventura was Louis Van Severen (°1812), gehuwd met Serafina Van Holsbeke. Op uiteenlopende tijdstippen gaf hij als beroep op: houtzager, klompenmaker, herbergier. Het echtpaar had negen kinderen, waarvan vijf nog in leven waren (tussen 10 en 21 jaar oud) toen het zich in Namsos vestigde en er bij de volkstelling in 1865 werd genoteerd. Later werd hij opgevolgd door zijn neef Frantz. We kunnen de aanwezigheid van de verschillende Van Severens in Namsos ongeveer als volgt situeren: Louis van 1858 tot 1869, Frantz van 1869 tot 1882 en Karel-August van 1858 tot aan zijn dood in 1892.

Aanvankelijk werd de onderneming geleid – zonder dat hij permanent in Namsos verbleef - door de Noor Pieter Rist (°Fredrikshald 1824). Hij was verbonden aan het Zweeds-Noorse consulaat in Antwerpen en leidde mee de agentuur Lambrechts & Rist. De nieuwe vennootschap kreeg de naam Rist & C°.

In 1869 werd de firma Rist & C° ontbonden en vervangen door een firma met de naam J. F. & C. A. Van Severen, in de streek ook gekend als Det Belgiske Company. De ‘J.F.’ stond voor Jan-Frans, de vader van Frantz en de ‘C.A.’ voor Karel-August. De naamverandering was het gevolg van een wijziging in het aandeelhouderschap, nadat Constant Van Cromphaut een paar andere deelgenoten had uitgekocht. In 1879 kwam er opnieuw wijziging. Van Cromphaut was overleden en zijn erfgenamen wilden verkopen. De jonge Frantz Van Severen bemiddelde hiervoor en vond een koper in zijn beste vriend in Namsos, Johannes B. Havig. Het contract van overname werd ondertekend op 31 mei 1882 en hoewel Havig de meerderheidsaandeelhouder werd, werkte men voortaan onder de naam Van Severen & C°. Karel-August Van Severen bleef actief in het bedrijf, maar - naïef vertrouwen of zorgeloosheid -, hij tekende blindelings alles wat Havig hem voorlegde. Op korte tijd werd hij door hem buiten gemanoeuvreerd. Toch bleef de vennootschap de naam Van Severen dragen.

Karel-August Van Severen was bijna veertig toen hij in september 1861 huwde met de negentienjarige Katrine Janson uit het naburige dorp Fosnes. Zij was de dochter van Andreas Janson die in 1853 de houtzagerij in Namsos had opgericht. Op 29 mei had ze al een dochter gebaard, Thérèse Catherine (1861-1916). Er kwamen nog vijf kinderen: Karel-Andreas (°1863), Adeline (°1866), Valérie (°1869), Adelaïde (1875-1949) en Lulle (°1878). Of die kinderen relaties onderhielden met familieleden in België is niet bekend. Het is alvast weinig waarschijnlijk dat ze enig contact hadden of zelfs van het bestaan afwisten van hun beroemde neef Georges Rodenbach (1855-1898).

Dat het in Namsos wel degelijk om de Brugse Karel-August Van Severen ging, lijkt onweerlegbaar. Bij zijn huwelijk moest hij een geboorteattest voorleggen, dat hij in Brugge aanvroeg en dat door zijn nakomelingen zorgvuldig is bewaard. Het luidt: L’an mil huit cent vingt deux, le dix janvier, est né à Bruges, Charles Auguste, fils de Charles Jean Van Severen et d’Adelaïde Caroline Augustine Wieland, son épouse. Dit was ondertekend door de schepen van de burgerlijke stand Frederic van der Plancke.

Karel Van Severen werd, nadat hij Van Severen & C° had verlaten, financieel adviseur of boekhouder van het ziekenhuis van Namsos. Toen hij in 1892 in het stadje overleed, was alleen nog maar zijn oudste dochter Thérèse Catherine (1861-1916) gehuwd en had ze al zes kinderen. Met haar echtgenoot, Carl Frithjof Fjeldstad (1850-1925), de postmeester van Namsos, kreeg ze er in totaal twaalf. Ook de andere kinderen Van Severen huwden. De zoon had alleen maar dochters, zodat de naam Van Severen is verdwenen, tenzij dan bij sommige afstammelingen in vrouwelijke lijn, die hem nog gedurende een paar generaties in hun familienaam behielden. Eén van de kinderen van Adelaïde Van Severen (voornaam die herinnerde aan haar Brugse grootmoeder) is Ole Maehle (1904-1991) die een gereputeerde schilder werd. Hij was een optimistische expressionist, schilder van het Noorse landschap, met felle kleuren, in het voetspoor van Matisse. Onder de overige nazaten van de Bruggeling treft men talrijke beroepen aan: zeekapiteins, militairen, bankiers, handelaars, professoren, leraars, geneesheren, bedienden, enz. Het is een talrijk nageslacht geworden. Tot op vandaag blijven de nakomelingen zich van hun Brugse wortels bewust.

In Namsos bestaat de houtzagerij Van Severen nog altijd, thans onder de naam Moelven Van Severen (85 personeelsleden, omzet 24 miljoen euro). Het is één van de belangrijkste houtzagerijen in Scandinavië, weliswaar niet meer als zelfstandig bedrijf. Na een aantal jaren geopereerd te hebben onder de naam Forestia Van Severen, eigendom van de producent van dagbladpapier Norske Skog, maakt het sinds 2000 deel uit van de onderneming Moelven Timber (met 1.200 personeelsleden), die actief is als houtzager en leverancier van hout, houtlaminaat en andere houtproducten. Deze onderneming is zelf een afdeling van Moelven Group (3.000 personeelsleden), die deel uitmaakt van de Finse maatschappij Finnforest Group (8.000 personeelsleden) en die is dan weer een onderdeel van de Finse Metsälliito Group (30.000 personeelsleden), eigendom van de coöperatieve vennootschap Metsälliito, die 130.000 leden telt.

Zowel familiaal als professioneel heeft de Bruggeling Karel-August Van Severen dus tot op vandaag blijvende sporen nagelaten in zijn nieuwe vaderland.

Andries Van den Abeele

(gepubliceerd in Brugge die Scone, 2005)

Een foto genomen rond 1879-1880.

Van links naar rechts:

Frantz Van Severen (°1834), oudste zoon van Jan-Frans Van Severen. Onderaan de foto staat vermeld: He was born in Belgium, stayed for a while in Namsos, and then went back to Belgium where he died.

John Aune (Snåsa 1815 – Overhalla 1893), onderaan vermeld als forest manager

Karel-August Van Severen (Brugge 1822 – Namsos 1892), onderaan vermeld als Company manager.

VAN SEVEREN:

FROM BRUGES TO NORWAY

At the end of 1849 three adventurous young men, belonging to well-known families, departed from Bruges. They headed for California, supposedly to make a fortune as gold diggers. Before they took the boat, their friends cheered them up with exuberance. Two songs, printed for the occasion, bear witness to it:

- Couplets d’adieu, dédiés à MM. Hardy Chantrell, Charles Van Severen et Charles Vandamme, chantés au banquet précédant leur départ pour la Californie, à Bruges le 27 novembre 1849, par leur ami Y. Piels;

- Couplets d’adieu chantés au souper offert à C. Van Severen, Hardy Chantrell, Ch. van Damme, la veille de leur départ pour la Californie, par leurs amis. Bruges, 28 novembre 1849, impr. C. De Moor.

These two banquets had been preceded by a third one, on the 26th of November, offered to the three migrants by their colleagues of the cavalry company of the local ‘Home Guard’, called ‘Les Chasseurs-éclaireurs de Bruges’. Their commanding officer, Jean-Baptiste Coppieters ‘t Wallant (1806-1860) had delivered a farewell speech, in the presence of the colonel of the ‘Home Guard’, William Chantrell (1801-1857), father of one of the migrants. It had also been the occasion for songs and speeches, until the early morning hours.

It is not known if the three reached California and if they had any success in their endeavours. Rumours circulated that they had not found the fortune they had been looking for and had emigrated to Australia. It was also said that they had perished at sea. This was by all means not the case for Charles-Auguste Van Severen.

Brewer Charles-Jean Van Severen (1801-1842), had succeeded to his father Charles van Severen (1755-1823) as owner of the brewery called The Keys, located in Bruges, Rue Fossé aux Loups. He was a member of the large Van Severen family who had become affluent through its activities as cattle dealers and horse breeders. He had married Adèle Wieland, born in 1800 in Westkerke as the daughter of Auguste Wieland (1757-1833). As well in politics (conseiller de la préfecture and mayor of Westkerke during the French period, district commissioner and councillor in Ostend during the Dutch period, district commissioner in the Kingdom of Belgium) as in commerce (proprietor of an import-export business in the Austrian Netherlands, promoter and later president of the Chamber of Commerce in Ostend) and also as an expert in modernisation of agricultural practice, Wieland was a prominent figure. He had also another daughter, Louise-Pauline, who was to marry the physician Constantin Rodenbach (1791-1846), who had his practice in Bruges and became one of the leading figures of the revolution that led to the independence of Belgium in 1830. They were the parents of Constantin-Ferdinand Rodenbach (1824-1891) and the grand-parents of Georges Rodenbach, the author of the famous novel Bruges la Morte.

The couple Van Severen – Wieland had a son, Charles-Auguste van Severen, born in Bruges on the 10th of January 1822. When Charles-Jean died in 1842, his widow ran the brewery until 1847. She then sold it and moved to Ghent, where she probably reunited with her sister who had also become a widow. With her went her three daughters Adelaïde (°October 1822), Valerie (°1826) and Theresa (1829) and her youngest son Andreas (°1830), who later also worked in far-away countries. The records in Bruges mention that he died in San Salvador in June 1888. The eldest son Charles-Auguste was either considered as too young or was not interested in taking over the brewery. Two years later he left Bruges with his two companions.

How the American adventure finished, we do not know, but we may assume that it was not successful. Whether Van Severen returned to Bruges, we don’t know either. Despite his departure, he remained mentioned as being domiciled at the brewery, but this was probably just negligence. At the end of 1856 he was written off as having moved some time before to Oudenaarde in de province of East-Flanders. This happened on the occasion of his return to Bruges, where he was best man at his brother’s wedding on the 6th of November of 1856. On the marriage certificate he is mentioned as ‘filateur’ or thread manufacturer. Perhaps this also didn’t work out successfully.

What is certain is that a couple of years later he turned up in Norway, namely in Namsos near Trondheim in the province of Namdalen. This small new town had come to development from 1845 on and in 1853 a first sawmill was built, taking over the work performed until then by small sawmills in the rural districts. The initiative was taken by the Swedish born Andreas Janson, who made a contract with the wood trader Ole G. Olsen of Namsos that he would saw all his wood. Soon Olsen became the owner of the company and when his business was faced with difficulties, the sawmill suffered also. In 1858 the entire company, including the vast forests it owned, had to be sold.

The buyer was a commercial association founded in Antwerp. The partnership was divided in 28 shares between Lucien André (Antwerp), 10 shares (36%), Constant van Cromphaut (Wetteren), 8 shares (29%), Conrad Warnecke (Hamburg) and Ebeling & Brandt (Amsterdam) two shares each (15%), Peter Rist (Antwerp), August Verhaege (Ghent), Constant Verhaege (Ghent), Isidore Verhaege (Ghent) and Louis & Charles Van Severen (mentioned as being from Wetteren) one share each (18%). Louis and Charles Van Severen moved to Namsos.

This Louis Van Severen belonged to another branch of the Van Severen family. His father, Jan-Bonaventura Van Severen (Diksmuide 1777 – Wetteren 1862) had founded a sawmill in Wetteren. He made crates for ammunition transport, as a contractor for the gunpowder factory in this town. He had four sons and two daughters. The eldest, Jan-Frans (°1800) married Coleta Vervaet and they had a son, Frantz (1834-1904) who married Coleta Poelman and, after her death, Petra Olsen (Namsos 1850 – Schaarbeek 1925). The second marriage took place on the 31st of May 1879 in the Church of the Heart of Jesus in Trondheim. The bride had adhered to Catholicism a couple of days earlier. A few years later the family left Norway.

The second son of John-Bonaventura was Louis Van Severen (°1812) who was married with Séraphine Van Holsbeke. At different times he indicated as his profession those of sawyer, wooden shoe maker and innkeeper. They had nine children. In the Norwegian census of 1865 he was noted as living in Namsos with his Séraphine and five surviving children, aged between 21 and 10. As we will see, it was this Louis van Severen who first joined with Charles-Auguste in Namsos and was later succeeded by his nephew, Frantz. Without being able to situate the exact years, we can assume that Louis and his family lived in Namsos approximately between 1858 and 1869, Frantz from 1869 until 1882, and Charles Van Severen from 1858 until his dead in 1892.

From 1858 on, the company was directed (probably from a distance) by the Norwegian Peter Rist (°Frederikshald 1824) and took the name Rist & C°. He was working at the Swedish-Norwegian consulate in Antwerp and had become a partner in an agency under the name Lambrechts & Rist. In 1869 Rist & C° was dissolved. A new company was founded under the name J. F. & C. A. Van Severen, also known in the region as Det Belgiske Company. The ‘J. F’. stood for Jan-Frantz, the father of young Frantz and the ‘C. A.’ for Charles-Auguste. The change resulted from the fact that Constant van Cromphaut had become the major shareholder and the Van Severens were his men in charge. In 1879 a new change occurred. Van Cromphaut had died and his heirs wanted to sell the Norwegian company. Frantz Van Severen found that his best friend in Namsos, Johannes B. Havig, was interested in buying. The contract was signed on the 31st of May 1882 and although Havig gained a majority position, the company took the name Van Severen & Company. Frantz left the firm, while Charles-Auguste remained as manager, but – out of naivety or carelessness - he accepted to sign blindly all papers put before him by Havig and so one day he signed his own sacking.

Charles-Auguste Van Severen had been almost forty when, in September 1861, he had married the nineteen year old Katrine Janson from the neighbouring village of Fosnes, daughter of the Janson who had started with the sawmill. A few months before, on the 29th of May she had given birth to their first child, Thérèse-Catherine (1861-1916). Five other children followed: Karl-Andreas (°1863), Adeline (°1866), Valérie (°1869), Adelaïde (1875-1949) and Lulle (°1878). Most of these names were, interestingly, very much the same as the ones of Charles’ brother and sisters, given probably in reminiscence of his native home. It is not very probable that these children had contacts with their families in Belgium. It is by all means doubtful that they had any contact with their celebrated nephew, Georges Rodenbach (1855-1898). At least, the grand-children of Charles knew of the existence of some famous writer in the Wieland branch of the family, but they assumed that this had to be the well-known German poet and classical writer Christoph Martin Wieland (1733-1813), called the German Voltaire.

There is no doubt that the ‘Norwegian’ Charles-Auguste van Severen was the man from Bruges. When in 1861 he needed a birth certificate for his wedding, he was sent one from Bruges and his descendants kept it carefully. It said: L’an mil huit cent vingt deux, le dix janvier, est né à Bruges, Charles Auguste, fils de Charles Jean van Severen et d’Adelaïde Caroline Augustine Wieland, son épouse. The paper was signed by Frederic van der Plancke, the alderman in charge of the Registry Office.

After he was forced to leave Van Severen & C°, Charles Van Severen became the accountant or bookkeeper of the municipal hospital in Namsos. When he died in 1892, he had not amassed the fortune he had been dreaming of in his youth. His widow survived him and died well after 1900. At the time of his dead, only his elder daughter had married and she had given him and his wife six grand-children. With her husband Carl Frithjof Fjeldstad (1850-1925) she would have six more in the following years. The other children of Charles-Auguste also married. The only son had only daughters, which resulted in the extinction of the family name, although some of the descendants through women, kept the name in supplement to the one of their father, some received even the name Wieland as one of their Christian names. One of the children, Adelaïde Van Severen (a Christian name evoking the grandmother and the aunt from Bruges), had as her son Ole Maehle (1904-1991), who became a painter with an excellent reputation. He was an optimistic expressionist, painter of the Norwegian landscape, with bright colours in the style of Matisse. Amongst the other descendants of Van Severen one can find sea-captains, officers, bankers, salesmen, professors, teachers, etc. The offspring has become numerous. Until to-day they remain aware of their roots in Bruges.

The sawmill Van Severen still exists under the name Moelven Van Severen and is one of the major sawmills in Scandinavia (85 staff members, 25 million euro turnover). After having operated a number of years under the name Forestia Van Severen, within the Norske Skog company, it is since the year 2000 a part of the Moelven Timber company (1.200 staff members), active in sawmills and producer of timber, laminates and other wood products. It is itself part of the Moelven Group (3.000 staff members), which is owned by the Finnish Finnforest Group (8.000 staff members), itself part of the Finnish Metsälliito Group (30.000 staff members) owned by the 130.000 members of the co-operative society Metsälliito.

As well from a familial as from a professional point of view, the expatriate Charles Van Severen has left distinctive traces until to-day in his new homeland.

Andries Van den Abeele

(translation for the benefit of the Norvegian descendants of Van Severen. Not published)

www.andriesvandenabeele.net